Feature suggestions and discussion

Teaspoon
Ani Artist Test - TEST
The 1% - Hit 1% of Uploads Milestone for a year
lunar test A 1 -
sun test A 1 -
lunar test -
Even Worse Kobold -
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Seedling - Gave the site life with many uploads during its first months
Heavy Lifter -

still using a ps/2 kb
Furbooru runs on a fork of the Philomena project, so you should check there if there’s already a feature request or in progress for what you had in mind.

If you can’t find anything there, you can describe your feature request in this thread. Please state the following as clearly as possible:

Feature Name (so we can discuss it individually)
Summary (brief description of what the feature is)
Goal (why should this be made, what problem is it solving, etc.)
Description (if you have a more detailed idea of how the feature should work and be presented)
Other (does another site have this feature? are you aware of libraries that can be used? etc.)

Please keep discussion to a minimum and stay focused to the purpose of the thread. Discussions of site rules, processes, moderation, etc. should not be discussed in this thread.
CruFox
Even Worse Kobold -
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Tag Master - Exceptionally Good and Proficient Tagger
Dedicated Lifter  - Uploaded over 5k art pieces
Heavy Lifter -
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

I like tags
EDIT 2020-06-14: There is a better suggestion for this issue of comic order below in this thread in this post.

——  
Feature Name Comic sorting starting at page 1

Summary By default the first page of a comic should be displayed as the first file in the comic category, not the last one.

Goal If somebody want’s to read a comic they wouldn’t want to see the ending first, they want to see the first page and this is how it should work when viewing the comic’s category (the tag in the format comic:comic name)

Description The easiest way to resolve this is to set the default sorting order in categories of the type “comic:” to “by upload date ascending” instead of “descending”. It will work in most cases. In some other cases where images that constitute a comic are not in order, because they were replaced along the way or the first uploaded page is not the first page of a comic, some other way needs to be figured out, maybe an option to manually set a picture as being after some other picture in a comic. For example if a picture has a tag of the type “comic:” then there would be additional option available looking like something like this:

full

If the image has more than one tags of the type “comic:” then there should be option to set this for all of them separately. Example of an image that has more than one comic: tags: https://derpibooru.org/images/1424819 (it’s a safe page from nsfw comic)).  
This option would set the current image as page “n+1” and then the default filtering option in the comic’s tag would be by page number.

Other e621 has pools, where you can place images in order: https://e621.net/pools, https://e621.net/help/pools. Here and on Derpi equivalent of this would be a galleries, but one image can be in multiple galleries and it’s not so prominently shown that an image is in one as the colorful tag of the type “comic:comic name”.

————  
Earlier I’ve already made two feature proposition in the other thread (the first one here, the second one here) about changes to the uploading screen, should I write about them here too?
Wingbeat
Even Worse Kobold -
Artist -
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Since the Beginning - Registered before the site was public

Fun is mandatory
Feature Name  
Visual Ratings Guide

Summary  
An example illustration to go with each tag on the tag guidelines page

Goal  
A picture’s worth a thousand words; it might be easier for users used to rating images on other furry sites to see what the bullet points are describing to distinguish the difference between what qualifies as Suggestive or Questionable and so on

Description  
For each tag, the tag guidelines page has a list of bullet points. I suggest linking to an infographic (respecting filters) alongside those tags illustrating a scenario for each bullet point in turn. To keep things fun, it could feature a color-coded male and female version of the site mascot throughout.

Obviously, this’d be a pretty big project for some artist, and it only makes sense to do it once the tag guidelines are more settled, but I think it’s something that could help out a lot once new users start flooding in.

Other  
I can’t think of another site that does this, but as kind of a guide to what I had in mind visually, something like the kama sutra or Humon Comics’ Animal Lives series only…furrier, and uncensored where applicable (I feel like a censored version, while more accessible, might ultimately be more confusing.)
Wingbeat
Even Worse Kobold -
Artist -

Fun is mandatory
→ Feature Name: Search autofill  
→ Summary: suggest tags as people search images, like it does for the fancy tag editor  
→ Goal: Make it faster to search, and help people remember/discover tags  
→ Description: The only functional difference in appearance between this and the tag editor would be that the dropdown spans the entire search bar, color-codes tag names, and adds the selected tag to the existing query padded by a space.  
→ Other: e621
evan555alpha
Artist -

Praise Chrysalis!
Feature Name  
Toggle option for left-aligned/centred layout  
Summary  
A toggle option under the user settings to toggle off the centred layout and allow for a left-aligned layout.  
Goal  
Derpibooru has it, so I find it a little odd that this doesn’t. Allows users to toggle between a left-aligned layout and a centred layout.  
Description  
I like the option to have everything left-aligned. I’ve had it that way over on Derpi for years, and since this is a spin off from that, I think it would be fitting to also have that option here.  
Other  
It could just be possible that I’m blind and the option’s been moved elsewhere, but it’s not under Content Settings → Display like it is over on Derpibooru.  
Derpibooru:  
full  
Furbooru:  
full
byte[]
Founder Artist - Had at least 75 images under their tag before the site has hit its 50,000 uploads milestone.
Artist -

@evan555alpha  
Multiplying the number of options you need to separately maintain gets unpleasant fast. Totally understandable, especially when the left layout looks like trash on wider screens.
byte[]
Founder Artist - Had at least 75 images under their tag before the site has hit its 50,000 uploads milestone.
Artist -

@evan555alpha  
Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree then, I have a 3x1920x1080 monitor setup and I find the left layout to be incredibly uncomfortable to look at with how much I have to turn my head to see it.
evan555alpha
Artist -

Praise Chrysalis!
@byte[]  
Fair enough. I’m on dual 1440p with centre and right so heft-aligned just means looking slightly to the left at the most.

But this is getting off-topic.
Anonymous #CFA6
Feature Name  
Pools  
Summary  
Pools are publicly editable (wiki-like) Galleries that show special navigation bar in image page of each image.  
Goal  
Feature parity with e621. Comic artists not gonna move over if it means they have to manually link pages in the description.  
Description  
Pools can be created by anyone, and edited by anyone.  
Pools contain images, in specific order (that can be rearranged by anyone).  
Each image page of image that’s added to the pool will have navigation panel displayed:  
\[first prev PoolName next last\]  
Each of those are links. First and Last links to first and last image in the pool. Prev and Next links to previous and next image, relative to current image (pool order apply). PoolName is Pools’s title and links to pool page containing ordered list of all images.  
One image can be in multiple pools (but it’s best to limit max number of pools per image to 2-4, to prevent panel creep).

Q&A:  
Why not just use Galleries?  
Because Galleries are equivalent of “Favorite Folders” from DeviantArt. They’re nice, but do not allow public editing and do not display navigation panel.

Why not just use “series:*” or “comic:*” tags?  
Pools and tags serve different purpose. Tags can’t have specific order, so user can’t add page between page 3 and page 4 (which happens quite often in sponsored comics, or when artist adds covers for chapters). Plus they still do not have navigation panel.

Why not just link first/prev/next/last in the description?  
Poor maintainability for prev/next buttons (you have to keep track of three descriptions on three pages every time you upload), and utter impracticality for last button (you have to edit every single page). Also, description is not editable by anyone, so you’re mainly stuck with it.

But Philomena already have navigation buttons back/next!  
Those are not comic navigation buttons, those are search query (or global if navigated not from search page) navigation buttons. e621 also have them, separate from pool navigation panel.

But Derpibooru was fine without Pools for 8 years, why Furbooru needs them?  
Derpibooru was in unique position after closure of Ponibooru. Bronibooru’s rules were too strict (no shipping, etc), and Derpibooru was the only one left. That’s not the case with furry boorus, so feature parity with competitors is important. Also, Furbooru is rather small for now, so this is a perfect time to introduce a new feature without overwhelming moderators and assistants.  
Other  
e621 and danbooru-based sites have this feature. You can use Galleries as a base for making Pools.  
danbooru-based sites call Pools as “purple-colored pools”, and call Galleries as “blue-colored pools”. Do not confuse them.
CruFox
Even Worse Kobold -
Tag Master - Exceptionally Good and Proficient Tagger
Dedicated Lifter  - Uploaded over 5k art pieces
Heavy Lifter -

I like tags
@Anonymous #CFA6  
Yes, this would be a better way to do it than my suggestion as Galleries already have better ordering options because you can just drag and drop, so taking this feature and changing it slightly so that everyone can edit and there is a navigation bar on posts is a good idea.
ChonkyCrunchy
Artist -

Chonky
Forgive me for not understanding this kind of stuff so I don’t know if this is possible to be done or not, but anyway here we go

→ Feature Name - audio only posts

→ Summary (brief description of what the feature is) - allowing users to post only audio files

→ Goal (why should this be made, what problem is it solving, etc.) - arts are more than just visual and I think musicians and voice actors need more exposure. You can still post it as a webm but it doesn’t focus mainly on the audio. By having this, musicians and voice actors can get recognized in their own fields. However this means more work to make sure there’s no illegal stuff in them.

→ Description (if you have a more detailed idea of how the feature should work and be presented) - it can be in a separate tab to hold all audio files so it doesn’t clash with the images (like the streaming windows and forum windows on the left side of the screen). Can probably add a separate section for audio in user profiles as well.

→ Other (does another site have this feature? are you aware of libraries that can be used? etc.) - Not really, so far I only know websites that focus mainly on either audio or visual arts.
byte[]
Artist -

@ChonkyCrunchy  
This is an imageboard. While I get that it’d be nice to have the feature for posting audio, this site is intended for hosting images.

And yes, if you really wanted an “audio only” post you could very easily mux together a cover image (even just a black background with text describing what it is) with the audio.
Wingbeat
Even Worse Kobold -
Artist -

Fun is mandatory
To add to that, in my experience on FA the audio that gets posted there tends to be generally “music made by furries” and not “music about furries” … lyrical content like that is not the norm. I wouldn’t have a problem with audio only posts, but if they get tagged as not furry then you might get arguments about whether it belongs here or not.
Jinx
Even Worse Kobold -

Loves a German
So, i had a thread pinned yesterday in roleplaying. It was the suggestions thread, meant to be a hangout area. I looked today after armadillo stepped down and it was unpinned. Could i ask why?

And the story writing thread was meant to be pinned aswell.
Posted
Link
Anonymous #BE8E
Deletion reason: spam
Dave33333

Amateur Photoeditor
I feel like I should make a case here as well on the RP forums. At least personally, it makes zero sense to have 4 - 5 threads open up at once for something that can be done in two threads. In fact, these two threads were already made.

https://furbooru.org/forums/rp/topics/rp-general-thread-sfw-version

https://furbooru.org/forums/rp/topics/rp-general-thread-nsfw-smut-version

These are simple generic general threads and can serve the same use instead. They can talk about stories, chat a bit, and even request a partner, all at once. And even better, it’s split between NSFW and SFW roleplay.

The titles of the threads are also a lot more welcoming to the users. So instead of pinning a thread that says “bullshitting” on the title, we get generic titles that are straight to the point and tell you what to expect off the box.

It’s a lot more streamlined and cleaner than pinning 4 different threads, but instead, having 2 threads pinned and making much less of a cluttered mess.

A key cornerstone to a RP forum is to make it welcoming.

Tl;Dr: Pinning 2 threads instead of those 4 makes a lot more sense since those 2 were made first, do the exact same things, and have cleaner welcoming titles.
FoxMcCloud97

Cornerian Ace
@Dave33333  
I’m gonna have to agree there. No offense to anyone involved in those threads, and not that this is the thread for having a discussion or anything like that, but I recall a lot of people back on Derpibooru blamed that “Suggestions and Bullshitting thread” for the sites “downfall.” Like, a lot of people. But that’s not my opinion. And I always was tired of seeing so many threads made for the same subject/reason, since it’s defeats the purpose. I recently made one of those threads myself, but I think I’m gonna stop pinging it for the very reason that others already existed that could fill it’s purpose.

Sorry for going on a slight rant there, Mods and Admins. Just wanted to put in my two cents. I promise I won’t try to create a discussion in a site thread made for different purposes… UwU
Dave33333

Amateur Photoeditor
@Jinx  
I didn’t say anything about a “downfall”. All I said was that the threads already made do the same exact thing and more, and have cleaner titles.
Interested in advertising on Furbooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Furbooru is not cheap to operate - help support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide