Frontiers and Pioneers (sci-fi, NSFW(violence,possible teases), robots)

background furry #19375
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

@Cerebrate  
“If I had to guess why a body like this looks this way, I’d say… I guess it scares away xenofauna? Looks pretty dangerous, but there’s not much beyond the size just yet that can be used as a weapon. No drone jammers installed either; ‘barebones’ so to speak. I don’t distrust CAIS by any means, however. I’d just need to first see the body itself functioning correctly.”

To his creation. “Can you hear us yet through the microphones?”

CAIS: From the new body. %[ Voice ]% “Yes, I see you both as well. This feels rather unorthodox though compared to your own body. There’s so many limbs.”

Rameshvara: “I can have some mirror eachother’s movements to make it easier, if you’d like to test them out in a more spacious part of the hangar, of course.”

CAIS: “I’d very much like that so.”
Cerebrate
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

Loves a Demon
@Coriolanus  
Amy: “you have a much nicer voice than i expected, it feels… motherly, the kind of mother who has to look after kids that are constantly getting hurt but motherly.”
background furry #19375

@Cerebrate  
Cais: “Ehm… thank you? I suppose overseeing the synthsectoid workforce won’t be too far different than counseling my charge though, of course. Keep them from wandering astray, help them with judgement calls, and so forth.”

By now, the cratebots have already linked together again, with thin ‘‘muschines’’ superficially applied over them to augment their strength. They easily but carefully part away the obstructing containers and scaffolding around the corner of the hangar, giving Cais clearance.

Rameshvara, outstretching a hand up to Cais: “One small step?”

Across his arms, spine, and legs, applied muschine-twinings reinforce themselves against his own shell to act as an ambulatory support for Cais. Taking his hand, the towering synthsectoid queen very slowly takes her very first few steps forth, eventually reaching the spacious center of the hangar to practice moving about freely.
Cerebrate

Loves a Demon
@Coriolanus  
Amy: “you know, when i said take a look at the possibility in your spare time, i did not expect you to come around the corner with results the next day.”
background furry #19375

@Cerebrate  
Directs the cratebots to stand by in his stead, then walks back to speak.

“…Having relied on past experience for the cyberbrain, and existing synthsectoid models for the body, it just wasn’t a hurdle, miss. I could’ve spent a much, much longer time designing a completely new body once the laboratory deck was free to use, but I don’t like the circumstances this expedition is in, and so feeling that I shouldn’t be too heavily encumbered by one task, I just promptly got it over with using my own assembler at hand.”

“This doesn’t mean though that whatever this is has been finished. I need to see how the bots’ll behave under the 1st Wave’s duress when their antennae fold up into “insular-mode”, and I still need to find a means of defending them as they work, since the private army here currently seems tied down with protecting this ship instead.”

“The countermeasures asked for dealing with the rogue machines’ll come out of the lab within the next hour, but, well… since my own muse is now a part of this, more and more, I feel inclined to look into security’s way of dealing with dangerous bots…”  
”I wonder if I can scrounge ‘‘Totus’’ out just from memory…“
Jinx
Even Worse Kobold -

Loves a German
@Coriolanus  
I require a six legged walker capable of vertical, and upside down climbing, as well as weaponry, prefferably 20mm or 30mm cannons. The walker does not need a pilots seat, however i require it have a space that will fit Sada. It also needs high power lights in multiple directions, and night vision capabilities. It will be a large machine, each leg being almost 15 feet long.
Cerebrate

Loves a Demon
@Coriolanus

@Jinx  
Amy: “with the mountain terrain, climbing walkers will be the next best thing after flying, and with how the winds can get sometimes the latter is not always a good idea.”
background furry #19375

@Jinx @Cerebrate  
‘’Ghost imaging, floodlights, chainguns, synthetic scopulae, and a single passenger’s compartment…”

“I recall seeing something like this in war-journalist footage of Pyongyang a few lifetimes ago. ‘‘Arachnikomas’’, I think they were called; all this order’s missing to fully replicate those relics, is negative-refractive skin, and a big gun for the passenger to use.”

“I’ll lathe something out of the ship’s bigger assemblers just under the prerequisites though. Just need those boffins in the lab to finish up on their end already…”
background furry #19375

@Cerebrate  
“One half of my team finished their own designated tasks early, so they were free to go for the request, yes.”

“Let me just say, xeno-archaeology… is a whooooole ‘nother field of discoveries, with it’s own gauntlet of possible occupation hazards. They’re aware of this, and so that team’s just about bristling with the best excavation and safety equipment they could scrounge out of untasked assemblers. They’re still eager as hell to see who’s been on this planet first, though. Even brought a deployable AB-dome to set a basecamp within as soon as they get there.”
Jinx
Even Worse Kobold -

Loves a German
@Coriolanus  
No hair. It would ice up. The machine must be able to last months in tempuratures exceding -30 celsius, and operate in tempuratures up to -20 to -25 celsius. Only one of them is to made until further instruction. All testing models or otherwise are to be dismantled and their parts used in more useful fields. This walker is designed specifically for sada and myself.
Cerebrate

Loves a Demon
@Coriolanus

@Jinx  
a few more “commercial” spiders may be a good idea as well though, once we set up properly this plateau will not offer enough space and the scaffold settlements of the first wave are not in good condition. having transports that can climb will do a lot of good until a suitable network of elevators and ladders has been put in place.
Cerebrate

Loves a Demon
@Coriolanus  
Amy: “excellent, if initial impressions are correct the squids knew at least a bit about orbital mechanics and/or terraforming, which may be the reason we met no living ones yet.”
background furry #19375

Eventually, the half of R&D remaining within the ship’s lab finally crank out several non-destructive counter-measures to use on rogue bots. Of those designed, only three are cleared for delivery to security’s armory;

The first design, described on another tablet accompanying the deliveries just as the ‘‘pulse rifle’’ entry had, would seem to be a mid-range device that ‘‘resonates magnetically’’ with 1st Wave insectoid synthbrains. Put briefly, the weapon is a portable version of the larger shipboard disruptors used to recondition the hostile bots during the landing site attack.

**On a separate sealed document of printed paper sent to Amy, a longwinded warning states that this weapon may play havoc on certain delicate systems, such as magnetic containment mechanisms used for antimatter bottling.**

Weapon #2 is simply a high-power ‘‘HERF ray’’, cobbled together out of parts scrounged from the lab’s microwave oven… While the device creates directed EMPs that can’t make it past an average synthbrain’s protective casing, it will however burn out exposed antennae, and so disable most typical wireless communications.

R&D should be notified immediately though if a malicious bot is encountered that doesn’t respond at all to the weapon’s effects, preferably with the referred-to bot’s body brought back for study.

On a post-it note stuck to the side of the weapon, it suggests it can also cook and reheat food… albeit terribly.

The last addition isn’t anything spectacular; merely a riot-foam gun typically used by core-world peacekeepers.

A footnote to this weapon though suggests that another public security announcement should be made in the near future advocating colonists to plant soil-clinging turf appropriate to the planet’s climate across unused landscapes, as well as keep snow from piling up across public spaces, for two reasons: One; because it’ll make the colony look better, and two; because it’ll give firm terrain to stick foam-saturated targets against.

All other weapon prototypes are mothballed away into locked storage, with their own blueprints deleted.

@Jinx  
Now with the ship’s laboratory deck free at his disposal.  
“You’re asking for a tank that can stick to ceilings, without geckotech… Hooboi, this is a tuffy…”

As the large mechatronic spider is lathed into physical existence out of the assemblers, Rameshvara ponders for the longest while at the highlighted feet of a holographic model; the tarsal claws still implemented, but the geckotech microfibers omitted.

For hours he comes up with nothing as the rest of the body is produced, until he notices the pipes funneling feedstock materials into the assemblers… Swept into a sudden moment of serendipity, he searches for the pumping mechanisms responsible for the pipes in the ship’s own blueprint; ’‘transfer planes’’. Applying this to a simulated model’s feet and running it through virtual testing, the re-appropriated nanotech is found to be more than enough to hold a spider-tank unto walls and ceilings that can support its weight, and without any risk of icing over.

Finishing the produced body, attachable ground-effect boosters are also thrown in as an optional add-on. If used, the spider-tank would be able to hover across rough terrain or water, allowing it move rapidly across far distances.
background furry #19375

@Jinx  
Seen sitting at rest in a desk chair, carefully holding an omnitool device reaching into his right ear.

His expression; full

Speaking, without his face moving to match: “SS-Sorry to s-s-see me like this, go go go go right ahead. It’s hull is composed of smart-materials, so it should be able contort itself enough to go through the ship’s hallways.”
Jinx
Even Worse Kobold -

Loves a German
@Coriolanus  
Youre fine.

she, with omegas help slipped in easily, sealing herself inside as the two AI assumed control of the mech as a body, it flexing and moving to get its range of motions in
background furry #19375

@Jinx  
Putting down the omnitool, Cais is called as she’s receiving training to conduct the synthsectoid workforce. From the hangar, she establishes a link across the ship’s intranet to Rameshvara, and within milliseconds, his face relaxes, with his voice-module losing the strange droning under-ambient accompanying his speech.

Standing back up, he pats hard against the right side of his head a few times with the palm of his hand, then eventually recomposing himself, he turns his attention to the spider-tank’s feedback displayed on an e-tablet.

“…It’ll take a bit of breaking in to get fully adjusted, but I’d say you and Omega’ve both adapted to this machine pretty well. The other non-militarized models I’ll make will be more directly pilotable, though; at most, they may get ports for neural jacks.”
Jinx
Even Worse Kobold -

Loves a German
@Coriolanus  
To make as precise movements as this youd have to be a synth with an AI.

the tank flipped itself now, legs rotating at their bases on rotator joints, after which it righted itself
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide