Frontiers and Pioneers (sci-fi, NSFW(violence,possible teases), robots)

EclecticInspiration
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

Skaven
@Coriolanus  
(what a legend)  
“Uh, well…sure…? On the off-chance that topic ever comes up from someone involved in law enforcement, I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that. Regardless…it’s good to see you again. And with real skin now, yes?”
background furry #19375
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

@EclecticInspiration  
“Absotutely, and all ‘homegrown’.” He tries to jest. “…not that dissimilar from the stuff they stretch over synths, but yeah, it’s ‘real’. Viscera too; I can eat, drink, breath, etcetera, but it’s all wedded flawlessly to the old as well, underneath. Much like our colony’s peoples, the relationship is symbiotic…”

“Organic and machine intertwined, a union of flesh and steel. The strengths of both, the weaknesses of neither…” ^o_o^  
(best part of this reference is, the Eriksson technically can “indoctrinate” people with its recoherence devices… at least synths. ^P:^)

Breaking from his odd show of whimsy. “-but yeah, I’m squishy now.”
EclecticInspiration

Skaven
@Coriolanus  
“Squishy shark. Bet you’ve got a list of things to try out, if you weren’t able to taste and whatnot before. I…wouldn’t know the differences.”

@Jinx  
(Am excited for cheez, and maybe cheeki breeki. This could be interestin’)
background furry #19375

@EclecticInspiration  
“Wouldn’t know? What, ya don’t have a preferred palate er something?”  
full

“The geneticists said I should wait for an hour or two, but when it’s safe to the first thing I might have is peirogi… or at least, whatever local dishes this colony has.” %.p.%
EclecticInspiration

Skaven
@Coriolanus  
“Oh, that…if it makes you feel better, it’s not just synths- I still have a hard time around augments and prosthetics. I guess they’re sometimes the same, aren’t they.” Her banter and tone implies a bit of nervousness. “Well…old experiences, really, and late night thoughts on the matter…” She winces a little, realizing that wasn’t very specific, and that he’d most likely noticed.
EclecticInspiration

Skaven
@Coriolanus  
“Well…maybe as a protector, I’m worried my job will be taken. It’s small and insignificant, but I guess it’s a concern a small one though,” she shakes her head. This isn’t her reason.  
“Now, um…synths were made by people, and people aren’t perfect. There could be mistakes. Bugs with unforseen consequences or undiscovered vulnerabilities waiting to be taken advantage of by the ill-willed. Just those two things I’ve learned from working IT and law enforcement, private or not. It’s why I use mechanical door locks on the armory, and why I don’t have a current mech license. And…maybe a little pride I can do my job without one,” she admits with some shame.  
“I guess…it’s stupid, but maybe some of it stems from seeing someone…a good friend, slowly get more augments. Some because of accidents, but most by choice. I think he wanted to do the same thing that happened to you- a mind upload. He changed, not just physically, and I think that…scared me,” she admits.  
“If we can make intelligence, and now I guess even make life…I don’t know…those are some philosophical shower thoughts I don’t think I’m ready for. I don’t know if any of that makes sense…”  
Her ears cock back and she bows her head a bit, waiting his response to her reasons, whether it’s all of them or not.

(Sorry for the length. I wanted to make it into smaller pieces but oof, wasn’t sure how to do that)
background furry #19375

@EclecticInspiration  
Seated before her desk.  
“In any other case, I’d drive folks nuts with the weight of knowledge just for the fun of it, but since you’re genuinely perturbed, I’ll start by telling you that as someone who’s seen whole centuries go by, every one of your worries were at one point credible issues grappled by people you’d find the names of recorded in textbooks.”

“How they handled those issues is why we’re at where we are now.”

“It’s quite miraculous, isn’t it?”

“Here we are, another planet lightyears away from wherever we came, the result of entire millennia worth of right-enough calls made in emergent technology, yet even with all that innovation, as long as people are flawed too, your occupation in itself will always be of importance–requiring people who can understand and respond well to other people, like you–but don’t confuse yourself for another mercenary. You’re a peacekeeper and adjudicator, not some soldier who cut their teeth doing wet work during bush-wars over water shortages back on Earth.”

“About synths, and tech… for the simpler latter, it’s not as easy as merely avoidance, especially if the rest of the world presses on and adapts. Compliant-mechanical locks printed out as single-piece devices are quite popular and effective to be honest, but will it always stop a determined trespasser? No, and triggered alarms might ward them off, but if not that, physical confrontation almost certainly will. If anything, with modern era consolidation in electronic security, it’s more important these days than ever to have highly-skilled people paid to stay vigilant.”

“For the more complex former, involving synths, I’m fairly certain just about every transducer within a synthbrain can be shunted into an insular-mode for safety, and this usually applies to most simpler tech as well. ‘Compartmentalization’, ‘self-isolation’, etcetera… Without directly accessing synthbrains, actual ‘psychosurgery’ used nefariously is practically impossible to achieve. As for what’s stricken the synths here on this planet; even despite the miraculously far reach achieved by that certain rogue 1st Waver I feel is responsible, the results are pretty negligible, and were caught pretty early on. Even then, I’d like to meet that 1st Wave lieutenant…”

“Truly, you should only be concerned that ‘big iron’ parallel-processing mainframes like the one aboard the Eriksson remain under tight control. For instance, Amy confronting me during my brazen stint crawling through airducts was completely justifiable. You just shouldn’t want something like that ever actually falling into genuinely the wrong hands, no matter what.”

“Pertaining to use of muscle-amplifiers… like I said, you’re not a mercenary, but if colony security’s going to have a go with running their own ranging-patrols, and you might want to take part in them directly, it might be worth it. There’s all sorts of safeguards, like using insular-mode to cut out worrisome signals fed into the OS, having them instead filtered and wired into a disposable headset for communication, while relying on trained and licensed manual operation instead of neural interfacing; I’m sure they even have blueprints for those old but reliable jumpsuits that use tactile sensations simulating a mech’s exterior frame about to bump against objects. With enough practice, just the jumpsuit alone makes it feel like being in a mech is no different than navigating around your office.”

“Your friend though… I don’t know what to say.”

“They used to call people rapidly adjusting like him ‘mercurials’.”

“He may’ve soon learned he could adjust himself ‘nootronically’ as well. I’ll admit, I did have a similar penchant and disposition for the longest time until recently, and while switching over to ‘natural’ substrate has helped, even before then though, simply meeting someone unaugmented like you is what really helped, like a reminder of what paradigms should be returned to.”

“I can still work in split-parallels like an impromptu supercomputer, dividing into dozens of virtual copies to succinctly carry out tasks when necessary, but, despite sounding corny, the thought of you is what makes me feel more “wholistic”, normal, and level-headed.” %.p.%
EclecticInspiration

Skaven
@Coriolanus  
“I make you feel normal? How do you mean? They may be stupid but do these concerns and mostly unaugmented body make me crazy,” she smirks nervously at her attempted joke, trying and failing to maintain eye contact, something previously unseen(I think) when having conversation without something else pulling her attention away.
background furry #19375

@EclecticInspiration  
“It’s hard to explain, feeling normal…” %[ ]%

“When I’m distributed as dozens of forks, I feel ‘reduced’, then when I ‘remerge’ I recall having done every task that should’ve taken me hours to complete normally, but also feel frayed, and even fractured sometimes if a specific task or two was laborsome enough… there’s a reason this odd form of multitasking has warnings not to remain forked for too long. Can you imagine two memories coinciding over one-another? Along with accelerated time-perception, It’s all awfully jarring just to keep things up.”

“When I remerge with you on my mind however, everything falls together, into just the right places…”

“Also, as I said, at one point even the old-world powers had been grappling with those concerns, but they all managed to make the world better off in the end, cyberizing the world before them, and not the other way around. They never sacrificed what felt innately important… neither should you.” Shifts uncomfortably in his chair, hunched a bit over the desk,

evidently looking as if he’s about to swoon over Riggs right in front of her.  
full
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide