Stupid Stuff That Comes to Mind That We Want to Post

Poll results: Is baseball a fruit?

Why are you still reading these options?
20.51% 16 votes
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!
20.51% 16 votes
No, but a tin can
17.95% 14 votes
POLAND CAN INTO SPACE
16.67% 13 votes
What is love?
11.54% 9 votes
The Crusades were unjustified genocide
8.97% 7 votes
<<THat's what V2 is for.>>
3.85% 3 votes

Poll ends . 78 votes cast so far.

Elly Catfox
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Bronze Piece - Bronze Supporter on Patreon

nya
@Anonymous #F109  
All blockchain technology has been horrible for the environment until lately. NFTs are just a scapegoat because many people don’t like the idea of them in the first place, whereas it’s easier to be indifferent about cryptocurrency or even enthusiastic about it. NFTs are such a new concept to me, I’m still evaluating whether or not I think they’re bullshit. I think if an artist wants to sell their art that way, I don’t see the problem with that. Cotton is very bad for the environment but nobody complains an artist selling their prints on a shirt. “Selling” a tweet, or selling someone else’s art as an NFT… now that’s ridiculous however.

What you might not know however, is that just as everyone is now suddenly complaining about the environmental impacts of NFTs even though a lot of the same people who complain about it have ignored cryptocurrency for years, all etherium transactions and NFTs will soon be 100x less impactful on the environment, and in fact, many already are. We’re in a transitional period from what’s called proof of work, over to proof of stake.

In proof of work, everyone on the blockchain who’s trying to mine currency is competing to calculate validations all at once.

Proof of stake randomly assigns just one person on the blockchain to solve it instead, which somehow is only 100 times more efficient. 100x more efficient means that where one cotton T-shirt actually used to have the environmental impact of about 5 to 10 NFTs, with proof of stake, you have to buy 500 - 1000 NFT to have the same environmental impact of a t-shirt, making them basically much less harmful to the environment than most forms of merchandise you could ever buy.

Etherium and NFTs are actually in the early phases of transition, with many people having already transitioned their system early, and I think within a couple months, proof of work will be totally done for everyone, at least for those. IDK about bitcoin. I gotta go look this up again and see how the transition is coming along.

BTW, the whole, “more power than a house uses in a year” thing is only one extreme estimate. I’ve seen just as many estimates saying it’s between 2 and 10 days worth of power, which is still ridiculous, but again, that’s with the old proof of work validation tech, not the new proof of stake.

There are people who can explain this way better than me and know a lot more than I do, but that’s the jist.

TL;DR: NFTs are a convenient scapegoat, but are currently transitioning to be 100x better on electricity consumption/environmental impact.
Elly Catfox
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Bronze Piece - Bronze Supporter on Patreon

nya
@Anonymous #24A6  
Refrigeration, in some ways, is one of the closest things to free energy we’ve ever invented. Okay, that’s hyperbole, it still uses a lot of energy, but it’s very efficient in some senses of the word. It actually works on the compression and expansion of refrigerant gases going from gas to liquid and back, which of course causes heating and cooling, and then we radiate the heat off the back coils, leaving it cold inside.

A reverse oven would be more like a dutch oven, where you apply a heat source to the outside of the unit in order to heat the inside, rather than heating from inside first.

full
Interested in advertising on Furbooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Furbooru is not cheap to operate - help support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide