Viewing last 25 versions of post by Elly Catfox in topic The Horrific Consequences of The War On Drugs (Discussion)

Elly Catfox
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Bronze Piece - Bronze Supporter on Patreon

nya
I don't usually watch crime shows (or TV at all really), but I watched an episode of a show called "The First 48" at my grandma's today. It's an IRL on-the-scene murder mystery show.

The episode was like others I've seen. Somebody got shot, and the cops have to come pick up the pieces and talk to heartbroken friends, family, and bystanders to find out who did it. This one stood out, though, because _*every single person_*, most of which were interviewed independently of each other, spoke about how nice, caring, and full of integrity the victim was. They said he he had a bright future.

Long story short, he was a 20 year old who sold some weed on the side and some guys who barely knew him robbed him and killed him for a few joints and $150 when they were jonesing for a toke.

It was a heartbreaking episode and a good example of the reasons I usually stay away from this kind of content. However, one thing to me stood out that almost nobody ever talks about with these shows...

None of this would've ever happened if there wasn't a war on drugs.

This happened because some thugs thought they could get away with an easy score on an easy target from a scawny dude selling weed. He wouldn't be selling weed in the first place if it was legal. It's disgusting how we criminalize these people. We should be putting them in treatment when they are a danger to themselves or others, and leaving them be if they aren't.

Even if you don't believe in decriminalizing drugs, you have to look at the facts. There are so many horrific consequences of the war on drugs.

Far too many to list right now in one post. I can give more talking points or site some studies and hard facts later if someone wants, but as it is I just wanted to start this conversation.

Now I know a lot of people out there think about this stuff like I do, and I'm not alone... but it's lonely being the only one I personally know that

connects the dots and thinks so passionately about these types of things. This kinda stuff keeps me up at night. It really does. And I just need to get it out sometimes...

So if anyone has anything productive to add to the conversation, please do.
No reason given
Edited by Elly Catfox
Elly Catfox
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

nya
I don't usually watch crime shows (or TV at all really), but I watched an episode of a show called "The First 48" at my grandma's today. It's an IRL on-the-scene murder mystery show.

The episode was like others I've seen. Somebody got shot, and the cops have to come pick up the pieces and talk to heartbroken friends, family, and bystanders to find out who did it. This one stood out, though, because _every single person_, most of which were interviewed independently of each other, spoke about how nice, caring, and full of integrity the victim was. They said he he had a bright future.

Long story short, he was a 20 year old who sold some weed on the side and some guys who barely knew him robbed him and killed him for a few joints and $150 when they were jonesing for a toke.

It was a heartbreaking episode and a good example of the reasons I usually stay away from this kind of content. However, one thing to me stood out that almost nobody ever talks about with these shows...

None of this would've ever happened if there wasn't a war on drugs. This happened because some thugs thought they could get away with an easy score on an easy target from a scawny dude selling weed. He wouldn't be selling weed in the first place if it was legal. It's disgusting how we criminalize these people. We should be putting them in treatment when they are a danger to themselves or others, and leaving them be if they aren't.

Even if you don't believe drugsin arde pcrimarily just a health or personalizing pdroblemugs, you have to look at the facts. There are so many horrific consequences of the war on drugs.

Far too many to list right now in one post. I can give more talking points or site some studies and hard facts later if someone wants, but as it is I just wanted to start this conversation.

Now I know a lot of people out there think about this stuff like I do, and I'm not alone... but it's lonely being the only one I personally know that
connects the dots and thinks so passionately about these types of things. This kinda stuff keeps me up at night. It really does. And I just need to get it out sometimes...

No reason given
Edited by Elly Catfox
Elly Catfox

nya

The episode was like others I've seen. Somebody got shot, and the cops have to come pick up the pieces and talk to heartbroken friends, family, and bystanders to find out who did it. This one stood out, though, because _every single person_, most of which were interviewed independently of each other, spoke about how nice, caring, and full of integrity the victim was. They said he he had a bright future.

None of this would've ever happened if there wasn't a war on drugs. This happened because some thugs thought they could get away with an easy score on an easy target from a scawny dude selling weed. He wouldn't be selling weed in the first place if it was legal. It's disgusting how we criminalize these people. We should be putting them in treatment when they are a danger to themselves or others, and leaving them be if they aren't.

Even if you don't believe drugs are primarily just a health or personal problem, you have to look at the facts. There are so many horrific consequences of the war on drugs.

No reason given
Edited by Elly Catfox