Ambient Wildlife

Poll results: Should they be tagged with the species they are or not?

No
50.00% 2 votes
Yes
25.00% 1 vote
Variable
25.00% 1 vote

Poll ended with 4 votes.

LightningBolt
The 1% - Hit 1% of Uploads Milestone for a year
Even Worse Kobold -
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Seedling - Gave the site life with many uploads during its first months
Heavy Lifter -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote a fanfiction consisting of at least around 2.2k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Tag Lover - Good and Proficient Tagger

Senior Moderator
Emo siren
Simple topic, should images with Ambient Wildlife be tagged with the species they are, or not? Some people already said no, some said yes. I want some kind of consensus set in stone so it can be added to the description of the tag. No arbitrary rules of “they shouldn’t be tagged with species no matter what” or “they should always be tagged with species no matter what” let’s find a nice solid ground. Also their form too, factor this into this whole thing too.

The Yes option means all of them, provided they can be made out as an animal shape.  
The No option means that they should not be tagged no matter what.  
The Variable option means a mix of the two or something else entirely, please explain below.

Personally, I am okay with them being tagged no matter the size, it doesn’t bother me when it comes to searching or filtering.

Also, I can see these being tagged with species as making sense.  

These I can forgive as ‘not important enough’ to not tag species.  
CruFox
Even Worse Kobold -
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Tag Master - Exceptionally Good and Proficient Tagger
Dedicated Lifter  - Uploaded over 5k art pieces
Heavy Lifter -
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

I like tags
Ambient wildlife tag should only be used according to its description:  
When there are animals that are not important to the overall scene, e.g. birds flying in the distance
Use this tag when the removal of background animals won’t change much in the entire picture.

Think of it as “incidental animal”. If the animal is at least somewhat important because the main character is interacting with it in some way then it should not be tagged as ambient wildlife and also it should not be solo but solo focus instead then. If the animal is not important then it should be ambient wildlife and just solo.

I would say:

NOT ambient wildlife  

IT IS ambient wildlife  

Edge case where it depends whether main character is pointing at the butterfly (then it would not be ambient wildlife) or it is there just to fill the blank space (then it would be ambient wildlife):  

As for when to tag species:

If we had tags like “ambient bird”, “ambient butterfly” etc. then I think species should never be tagged for ambient wildlife. But Fleetfoot wrote on Discord that she doesn’t want it like that.

In that case I would say it depends. For species that is more often depicted in furry art as the main subject like “bird” species should not be tagged, but for species that is more often depicted in furry art as ambient wildlife like “butterfly” it might still get tagged as it would not interfere with search results.

The goal should be so that if somebody searches for “solo, bird” they should not get a picture like that in their results:  

And you can’t just use “solo, bird, -ambient wildlife” because what if the character that is the main focus is also a bird? This is why having tags like “ambient bird” would be usefull.
Gyro
Even Worse Kobold -
Tag Master - Exceptionally Good and Proficient Tagger
Founder Artist - Had at least 75 images under their tag before the site has hit its 50,000 uploads milestone.
Dedicated Lifter  - Uploaded over 5k art pieces
Heavy Lifter -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote a fanfiction consisting of at least around 2.2k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Piaow Birb!
I agree with cru that it makes sense to have ambient wildlife not get a species tag. In fact, I’d argue that if the wildlife is prominent enough to get a species tag, it shouldn’t be ambient wildlife. Those should be mutually exclusive.

is not ambient wildlife, and including it in this discussion just makes the whole thing confusing. The butterfly is clearly in a focus spot, in close proximity to a focus. Your eyes are meant to be drawn to the butterfly. Calling this ambient wildlife is just silly and muddies the tag.
Interested in advertising on Furbooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Furbooru is not cheap to operate - help support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide