Why are there so few comments on images on this site?

Nightweaver20xx
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Artist -

Ah sh*t here we go again
No but why fam  
It doesn’t take long to write something as you’re favoriting an image.  
Maybe people are too busy browsing this site with one hand.
Anonymous #A42A
For myself, too busy uploading to comment.

For others, I guess lack of comments breeds lack of comments; site needs a few more chatty cathys to kick things off.
Joey
The 1% - Hit 1% of Uploads Milestone for a year
Even Worse Kobold -
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Heavy Lifter - Uploaded over 1k art pieces
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Artist -
Seedling - Gave the site life with many uploads during its first months
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Since the Beginning - Registered before the site was public

System Administrator
This is still a fairly young site with only a handful of highly active users so far. As the site grows, activity will grow with it.

Commenting also isn’t the most widely used interaction either. Look at Derpibooru for example - there were 2014 images uploaded in the past three days, but only 984 have comments on them. Of those, only 568 have more than one comment.

E621 is an even more extreme example - I don’t know how to get exact image counts on that site, but there were 52 pages of images uploaded in the past few days. Only 14 pages of images have comments, and only 7 pages have more than one comment.
Nightweaver20xx
Artist -

Ah sh*t here we go again
@Joey  
Actually now that you mention it, most images – even from very popular and skilled artists like Pencils – barely get any faves or likes in comparison to Derpi. Less than 10 is the average here. Awhile ago I was considering getting all my art deleted off this site, but honestly, FB needs as much content as it can get rn.
Fletch
Even Worse Kobold -
Tag Lover - Good and Proficient Tagger
Magical Inkwell - Wrote a fanfiction consisting of at least around 2.2k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Silver Piece - Silver Supporter on Patreon
Since the Beginning - Registered before the site was public

Administrator
Public Relations
Luna's Pet Woof
@Nightweaver20xx  
Well you’re talking about a nearly 9 years old website versus a couple months old website hehe, it’s all about giving it enough time to build it’s community.

What matters is that we’re here, the website is friendly and comprehensive and it’s really fun to work on it and occasionally see that one new upload that causes jaw drop.
Anonymous #90F8
The site is both new and has serious competition from more established players.
Anonymous #29AB
Compared to Derpibooru, this site is more art focused, less political or image macro memes, lesser memes, I think just this fact tells a lot.
Anonymous #29AB
And, Derpibooru is being back to my main website now, I feel like this site is getting stale for me, it served as temporary Derpi-Alternative for many users here before… I guess it is the same for me.

Also, the tag requests seems to be completely ignored for months now, I guess… even staffs are bored of this site now, not just me.
Nightweaver20xx
Artist -

Ah sh*t here we go again
@Anonymous #29AB  
Do you really think anybody gets paid to do this? Not only is it volunteers, but they’re the ones having to pay others, specifically server hosts for rack space to the tune of hundreds a month so they can keep pet projects like this up and running.
Anonymous #6A21
I’m curious about the question too. I left comments on some images and 99% of them never get response.
Teaspoon
Ani Artist Test - TEST
The 1% - Hit 1% of Uploads Milestone for a year
lunar test A 1 -
sun test A 1 -
lunar test -
Even Worse Kobold -
Heavy Lifter -

still using a ps/2 kb
@Nightweaver20xx  
It’s more than that…

The main issue is that “furry” is a very very broad “fandom”, so regardless of user numbers, there’s going to be less engagement on an image-by-image basis than there is for a far more narrower fandom like MLP or Sonic or whatever, where everyone using the site is very aware and invested in the characters represented.

I couldn’t tell you the name of 95% of the canon characters on the site, nevermind the OCs, so for the most part I can’t react to much of what’s shown beyond “that’s cute”, “that’s hot”, “nice art”.
Interested in advertising on Furbooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Furbooru is not cheap to operate - help support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide