avoiding going the way of the derpi

Anonymous #760A
People who argue for patient forbearance in the face of Nazis are sadly misguided. We have asymmetrical tactics here and this is why “the left” loses. You can’t have one side being underhanded and sneaky while overt and violent all at the same time, and then have the other side be scared and tiptoeing around it and hoping it will go away if we ask it nicely.

It doesn’t matter if they were raised wrong or come from broken homes. It doesn’t matter what turned a Nazi into one. They no longer espouse the tenants of equality, empathy, and intellectualism, that make us humans and make us progress in the modern age. Nazis are a highly destructive scourge upon the human race, and therefore must be destroyed at all costs. It is better to sever the cycle than to pity it.

Consequentialism is how the real world works, whether we like it or not. The first argument against a 0-tolerance, highly anti-nazi stance is that “now you’ve stooped to their level.”

But how is fighting for equality, for humanity, for progress and for the safety and health of all our brothers and sisters of all different walks of life stopping to their level? The ends do justify the means as long as innocents are not lost in the fray. Put your wrath squarely where it belongs and act swiftly and judiciously.
Anonymous #7CF6
@Anonymous #760A  
I completely agree.

My take is: TSP owns the site, they should just lay down the law and ban nazi shit right now. These middling compromises aren’t making anyone happy.
Anonymous #760A
@Anonymous #7CF6  
I don’t know, I wrestle with huge mental health problems so I probably went a little overboard there.

But yeah, definitely lay down the law. Banning Nazi stuff is totally different than banning other fantasy stuff etc.

Now, I for one, don’t even think foalcon, drug abuse art etc. is in any way supporting actual child molestation or is actually a problem to the point where we would ever have to ban it. For example, I occasionally put myself in the place mentally of the little colt in a straight shota fantasy after coming home from an extra-long day at work. That doesn’t mean I in any way shape or form condone anyone actually manipulating and having sex with little boys…

That said, I am willing to give that up for the sake of the greater good with this site, if that is how y’all truly feel you want the site. I don’t have to agree with y’all on everything to stand together for fighting bigotry and getting off racist-enabling sites like DerpiBooru.

Furthermore, Nazi content just isn’t the same as other kinds of content on these places. We’re in the thick of a pretty big culture war these days and we have to take a stand against these people because they’re so underhanded and asymmetrical. Whereas a man or woman with a rape fantasy, drug fantasy, or any other kind of fictional art here doesn’t have a networked coalition of people behind them that go lynching people for the color of their skin and advocating for racism and segregation, Nazis do.
Anonymous #760A
Also btw does anyone know how to get ahold of somebody at DerpiBooru that actually gives a crap? I’m trying to get myself added to the DNP-list over there and have my art removed, but I can’t because they banned me for standing up for Derpy Hooves and against the lack of acknowledgement of transphobia in the tags. (Seriously, these people will cry that you can filter hateful content and argue, therefore, it should be allowed, but then they will fight you when you try to tag it correctly so it doesn’t show up in your filters- hypocritical swine.)

I emailed the site and they didn’t respond. I’m threatening them with a lawsuit now, but so far I’ve got no response.
Bexar Bandito
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

gahd dang it bobbeh
@Anonymous #760A  
hey wait a second, aren’t you the person in the comments section of that transphobic raptorshy meme that everyone thought was just me sockpuppeting? now i no longer feel like i got gaslit, lol.

also, i promise you a lawsuit won’t get you anywhere; the derpibooru contact page shows how you can appeal your ban in the derpibooru IRC/discord servers as well as a direct email link to whoever processes their DNPs (they’re swamped right now though so expect a lengthy wait.)
Anonymous #760A
@Bexar Bandito  
Yeah, but I only went crazy and crap after they escalated things and started bullying Derpy and me too in the other forums. I was initially banned for the same free speech that they pretend to care about, but standing against the opinions of the mob-mentality and some of the site staff. That’s why I went apeshit and sockpuppeted. And no, it wasn’t fair to you how people were acting. But that’s the mob-mentality over there.

Thanks for the info. I don’t really know what to do though. I don’t even want to be unbanned. I just want everything I can of my presence there removed so I can be done with DerpiBooru and start fresh here. I know I have issues of my own I need to take responsibility for and work on. I’m not the most stable person but everyday I get up and try to move forward the best I can. I see a therapist every week and I take some medication. I’m not just some dangerous looney.
Bexar Bandito
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.

gahd dang it bobbeh
@Anonymous #760A  
if you have any art you want removed then send an email to [email protected]. if you have an account idk how or even if they can delete it but you do have the option of locking yourself out of the account by scrambling your password. if it’s just your anon comments you want removed i have no idea whether or not they can do that but i guess emailing them would be worth a shot.
DerpyFast

@Anonymous #760A  
This post reads like the manifesto of someone who’s about to go on a shooting spree.

I don’t know, I wrestle with huge mental health problems so I probably went a little overboard there.

Seek professional help immediately. I’m serious.
Anonymous #7CF6
@DerpyFast

I don’t think they meant “destroy nazis” as in “literally kill them.” I think they just mean to deplatform them and ban them from our communities.

I want to clarify, if they were advocating for violence, I disavow and didn’t mean to say “I completely agree” in my earlier response to their post.
DerpyFast

@Anonymous #7CF6  
I’m not sure how you can take lines like  
[…]a highly destructive scourge upon the human race, and therefore must be destroyed at all costs.

as anything other than a call for violence.

You wanna know the grand irony about this whole situation? I’m someone who hates Nazis, but knows how to separate fiction from reality, and has witnessed moral panics in the past. From an outside perspective, the anti-Nazi pledge comes off as hysteria. “Either you’re with us, or you’re against us” is a red flag that makes regular people go “well, these people are nuts”. I’m sure if there were actual Nazis on the site, they just sat back and watched as the anti-Nazis poisoned their own well.

But it gets worse. People are going to remember this. People will remember how in two weeks, anti-Nazi hysteria very nearly led to the largest pony site getting nuked by its creator. This is going to make site admins think twice about enacting similar policies in the future.

All the while, the average Derpi user has thought more about Nazis in the last two weeks than they have since high school.
Anonymous #7CF6
People will remember how in two weeks, anti-Nazi hysteria very nearly led to the largest pony site getting nuked by its creator. This is going to make site admins think twice about enacting similar policies in the future.

I mean, this site outright bans nazi-related content. Do you think it shouldn’t?
DerpyFast

@Anonymous #7CF6  
I think it’s more complicated than that. Let me start from the top.

I think it’s important to frame the discussion from the perspective of normal, everyday people (normies). To a normie, sexualizing a cartoon horse for children is already completely beyond the pale. To them, it doesn’t matter whether the cartoon horse is being raped, or if they’ve over the age of consent, or whatever else. Whatever fetish you tack on is just the icing on the cake. Let’s call this “fringe content”.

Now, there’s a very strong argument that art can be used to explore sensitive topics. That’s why I’m in favour of freedom of expression. But art can be interpreted and enjoyed many ways, for many different reasons. Take rape art, for example. Maybe someone has a rape fantasy, and they want to use art to explore it from the perspective of the victim. But that same piece of art could also be enjoyed by someone who fantasizes about being the rapist. Someone else might take the picture as commentary on how horrible the act is, while someone else might like the idea of the victim “knowing their place”. As an artist, you don’t control what others take away from your work. Either everyone is free to enjoy the art for their own reasons, or no one is.

Obviously, the site is free to ban or allow whatever they want for whatever reason they want. Despite opposing censorship, I genuinely believe that the stance of “We don’t have to justify our content rules, filter or GTFO” is the reason the site worked so well. Especially considering that the decision to ban one thing kicked off a civil war that very nearly destroyed the site. It is also my belief that if you make the decision to host “fringe content”, you kind of have to agree to not pass moral judgement on whatever you do allow. I felt like there was an “honour among degenerates”, and that by using the site in the first place, you left any claims to a moral high ground at the door.

Their mistake wasn’t in banning or not banning. It was in opening up the discussion on what should or shouldn’t be banned in the first place. Because once you’re in the realm of “fringe content”, there really is no moral or logical argument for banning one thing but not another. So, I think any changes to what is allowed must be made only out of absolute necessity. Because when you ban something because you find it “immoral”, it re-contextualizes the decision to allow the rest of the “fringe content”. So you open yourself up to people complaining about other “immoral fringe content”.

TL;DR: I don’t really care what you host, but every change to what’s allowed sends shockwaves through the community, so decide where the line is, and don’t move it unless you absolutely have to.
Anonymous #760A
Well when they don’t let you tag shit you don’t want to see and call you “projecting your opinions” when you tag transphobic etc. content as such, then you can’t avoid it. They cry that you can avoid the content and then they don’t let you tag it as what it is. Fuck them and fuck DerpiBooru.
Luna
Even Worse Kobold -
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Platinum Piece - Platinum Supporter on Patreon
Since the Beginning - Registered before the site was public
Always Codes Drunk - Apparently cats have non-existent alcohol tolerance
Artist -

Administrator
Devops
I love this site so much… nobody passionately hates my guts, nobody is calling me a nazi, I can just enjoy my furry in peace and quiet, and be appreciated for the hard work I did for the place…
SynthRavu
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Seedling - Gave the site life with many uploads during its first months

Yaks Best
@Anonymous #7CF6  
Well when you work for a site that has an infamous problem with hosting Nazi content, people don’t tend to be selective because most people can’t be expected to keep track of twenty or so mods. And if all they know is that you’re one of those mods, they’ll assume you have more power than you actually have
Havok_Pony

So, just for clarity, there is in fact no tolerance for nazi nonsense here? I do have some commissions that I had took down from Derpi that I would like to get elsewhere.

Furries learned long ago hosting nazis leads to nothing good, it looks like pony fandom has refused to learn the same.
Interested in advertising on Furbooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Furbooru is not cheap to operate - help support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: End of Thread.