Ask the mods anything.

Ciaran
Even Worse Kobold -
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Derpy Fur - Prevented Furbooru's terrible fate in April of 2021.
Astra - Helped choose the name for our mascot - Astra.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Gold Piece - Gold Supporter on Patreon
Artist -
Since the Beginning - Registered before the site was public

Draw or die
@Procerus  
Only if the person doing it is becoming a problem and after talking with them refuse to change, or if the uploader is anonymous and we have no way to communicate with them other than a temporary ban.
Posted
Link
Anonymous #4D98
Deletion reason: Rule #n - Deleted to protect personal privacy
Posted
Link
Ciaran
Deletion reason: Rule #n - No longer necessary
Ciaran
Even Worse Kobold -
Birthday Fur - Joined within the first year of the site operation and has had significant amount of activity as of June 1, 2021.
Passing of the Eclipse - Joined within the first month of public opening and has had at least some activity as of August 3, 2020.
Artist -

Draw or die
I responded earlier to a question about what images are ‘furry enough’, why we don’t delete all the images tagged ‘not furry’, and whether people who upload ‘not furry’ images should be banned, and while the original post is no longer appropriate to keep public, there were some parts that might still be useful or interesting to keep public in case it helps with transparency and to help encourage discussion.

What makes an image ‘furry enough’, or what do we do about images that aren’t furry at all and the people who upload them, is an interesting question and one which I myself am still getting a feeling for, and it feels like over time the site is becoming more accepting of a wider set of images which includes images that are not themselves furry, but which are parts of ‘furry franchises’, such as otherwise human characters from games that have a furry aspect.

Like, why are we allowing images of Samus on the site? She’s a human - where is the furry? (short answer: Metroid itself is furry so the characters from the game are also ‘implied furry’ even if they are full human, and are ok as long as the human-only images are tagged ‘not furry’ so people who don’t want to see that particular kind of mammal can filter them).

For myself, the way I think about it is that if an image has absolutely no connection with the Furry fandom or Furry stories, franchises, games, or universes, in other words something that has absolutely zero interface with anything Furry, then it probably is Rule #3 - but I’ll check with the rest of staff to make sure.

For example, I can’t think of anything in FireFly that’s furry. So any FireFly images that weren’t an alternative universe where the characters were furry would probably not be ok here. As much as I love FireFly, a straight up drawing of Mal being awesome is just a human from a human-centric non-furry franchise, so that would almost certainly be Rule #3.

On the other hand, if an image has SOME connection with a furry show or universe or franchise, or a show that has at least furry elements, like Ryoko out of Tenchi Miyu (because the series has space-faring extra-dimensional battleships whose physical representations in our universe are a talking rabbit, and a couple of the characters in the show periodically also become talking rabbits themselves) then that’s OK to host here as long as it is tagged “Not Furry”. I’ve uploaded such images myself - for example I’ve been uploading images from the She-Ra reboot, and uploaded a drawing of a character from ソウルアームズ ラ・ゼッタ (which has a lot of strong furry elements and is, to be fair, an elf character who looks a lot like Ryoko, and who also is an extra-dimensional battleship whose physical representation in our universe is sometimes very much like a cat). That image is itself “not furry” but not so much “not furry” that it isn’t welcome here, because the series itself is arguably very furry and this specific character sometimes dons her fur suit from the inside out. Maybe I should draw her in that aspect as well - that arguably would be even more grounded in what this site is about. I should do that.

FFXI is another example - sure, many of the characters are human or humanoid, but there’s also races like the Mithra. Soooo many Mythra.

So, unfortunately, what is and isn’t “too not furry” doesn’t have a hard line. The furry world has grown to include a lot of shows and franchises that previously were very Humans Only. And a lot of shows that only ever hinted at a furry component are now openly embracing their furry core.

Someday maybe everything will have a furry aspect. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?

As for banning people who upload ‘not furry’ images, generally speaking, the only time someone is going to receive a ban is if they are also doing something else wrong, like if there is some problem but they won’t stop when we ask them to stop doing whatever the problem is, or if someone is ban evading, or - rarely - if they are logged off and we can’t identify who they are and we need to give them a temporary ban just to communicate with them and get them to come to Support so we can talk. There’s a couple people who do persistently break rules here and only use the site anonymously, so when working with them we really don’t have a lot of ways to communicate with them short of a temporary “Please talk to us about this” ban on the IP.

I hope this helps answer any questions about ‘not furry’ images on a ‘furry site’. But if not, and folks would like to discuss it more or have questions, then maybe that’s something we can talk about.
Posted
Link
Anonymous #C6E9
Deletion reason: Rule #6 - Please keep your posts apropos the subject of the thread. If you want to Role Play, please use the RP forums.
Teaspoon
Ani Artist Test - TEST
The 1% - Hit 1% of Uploads Milestone for a year
lunar test A 1 -
sun test A 1 -
lunar test -
Even Worse Kobold -
Seedling - Gave the site life with many uploads during its first months
Heavy Lifter -

still using a ps/2 kb
@Anonymous #7893  
The site has few active users (compared to something like derpi) as it’s not really advertised anywhere. Staff are holding off on any sort of “active” advertisement as there are some technical issues we want to address first, but any “word of mouth” type advertising is welcome (ie. using furb to embed images on Discord or link to in forums) is welcome.

It’s also important to note that the audience type is different from that of derpi; while on derpi everyone knows and is invested in the same characters and universe (canon MLP and popular fanon), the “furry fandom” is much, much more diverse, and someone very active on the site may have no interest in, say Sonic or Pokemon, but care a lot about Bearstars, meaning they never collide with someone interested in the first two but not the last. Nevermind the enormous OC scene.
Ciaran
Even Worse Kobold -
Artist -

Draw or die
@TheGamerPainter  
If you’re talking about something other than the change logs on pages, like the ‘update log’ on the Rules page, not one that’s public, although I know some of the devs have been looking for a way to implement something.

I mean, if you’re talking about just a list of moderation actions like adding new DNPs or editing existing ones, banning people or sending warnings, or what images get deleted and why - not right now.

We can see what each other is doing on staff, and we do audit each other quite a bit, although that admittedly can be a ‘who watches the watchmen’ problem.

full

Generally, the info that we can see in our logs includes a lot of personally identifying info, like the profile who the action involved, and what the talking points were for the contact, so we would never want to make that public. Because that’s personal information. But things like which images were deleted and why is available via the API - but, again - that’s not any kind of easily accessible human-readable log.

Like I said, some of the devs are looking for ways to increase transparency and I know getting some sort of additional transparency is something that is in the works, although I’m not sure if that’s a front burner or a back burner thing. Maybe someone actually working on the dev side can weigh in.

But, to be honest, on this site that log isn’t going to include most of the work that I do as a moderator. I know for myself most of what I do here is sending PMs to people who are having trouble or breaking rules so that we do NOT have to ban them, so a good 80 to 90% of the ‘moderation’ I do here is actually PMs with people about how to avoid breaking rules, or finding out what the problem is, or suggesting things to change with tagging. Stuff like that. Bans are literally the last thing we try, and usually that’s after days or even weeks and in some cases months of trying to find a way to solve the problem without banning.

And unless we somehow opened up reports and moderator notes I don’t think any of that would ever be visible to the public, because it includes ‘who I was talking to and what we talked about’.

What kind of log would you like to see? What information would you like to see in it?
Posted
Link
Anonymous #D763
Deletion reason: Rule #6 - Please do not post these kinds of off topic things, ok?
hyzy

@ihatesoniccommercials  
It’d be one thing if it was actually just one channel he was linking, but this spambot isn’t even doing that. It’s linking to numerous different channels, none of which are either new or relevant to anything save for the common link of them having old sega commercials. At this point, I really feel it is purely malicious behavior. Especially considering it keeps changing it’s IP addy to get new Anon #s everyday.

@Anonymous #D763  
Counter point: No one wants your spam.
Posted
Link
Anonymous #D763
Deletion reason: Rule #6 - Please do not post these kinds of off topic things, ok?
Posted
Link
Anonymous #D763
Deletion reason: Commenter's Request - wrong site
Ciaran
Even Worse Kobold -
Artist -

Draw or die
Can we do something about the person spamming the site with sonic commercials advertising their youtube channel? It’s annoying, and there isn’t a common tag between them that doesn’t overlap with something else that I don’t want to have hidden.

We actually are taking a lot of commercial spam off of the site all the time so I’m not sure which particular spammer you may be talking about, so please report one of the comments or uploads or posts, and we’ll look at them.

If you’re referring to the ‘FFmpeg’ spam, then that person has already been banned and I’m cleaning up their spam right now - but if it’s something else please let us know with a report.
ihatesoniccommercials
Even Worse Kobold -

@Ciaran  
Yea it was the FFmpeg spam. Somebody on here helpfully showed me how to make more specific rules for filters, so now the only thing that would overlap with my new rules are YCH posts that happen to feature sonic characters. I can live with that.
Interested in advertising on Furbooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Furbooru is not cheap to operate - help support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide